- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 4 people
- October 9, 2016
Baked meatballs w’ simple tomato sauce
This supper is ideal for the little ones. The meatballs are perfect little packages just big enough for teeny tiny hands to grip and nibble on with ease and the pasta sauce is an absolute favourite of every child.
Grace demolishes these meatballs, especially along side a little pasta.
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- zest of a lemon
- 1 egg
- 700 ml passata
- 400 gram tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 500 grams short pasta, fussili, penne or rigatoni
- grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (350F). Place the mince, bread crumbs, spring onion, dried basil, garlic, lemon zest and egg in a large bowl and mix to combine. Take heaped tablespoon amounts of the mince and with wet clean hands shape into balls. Set aside. Pour the passata, diced tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and sugar into a large oven proof casserole dish and mix to combine. Add meatballs, cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil, add pasta and cook according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside. Add the pasta to the cooked meatballs and mix to combine. Serve with a little grated parmesan cheese.