Beef Short Rib Soup Recipe.
Soup is typically celebrated as a fall and winter food, but the changeable springtime weather makes it a perfect dish for March and April, too – you never really know when it’s going to switch from cautiously sunny to gray and cold again, and it never hurts to have something hot and comforting in reserve.
- 2 to 3 lbs. beef short ribs
- 1.5 lbs. beef brisket, cubed
- 4 leeks, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 red onions, diced
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh tarragon
- Fresh sage
- 8 to 10 cups of water or beef stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tie the thyme, tarragon, and sage together into a bouquet.
- Brown the beef in a skillet over a high heat for 1-2 minutes per side.
- Lower the heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until colored.
- Add all the remaining vegetables and the herb bouquet.
- Top with water or beef stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove the herb bouquet and season to taste.