Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe.
This simple recipe takes full advantage of the Dutch oven to make a big pile of beef ribs into a hearty comfort food, flavored with aromatics, red wine, and warming spices. And because it relies on the magic of time to get the meat tender and full of flavor, it doesn’t take a lot of active work – just throw it in the oven and leave it until it’s tasty.
- 4 lbs. beef short ribs, cut in half;
- 4 carrots, chopped;
- 2 celery stalks, chopped;
- 1 onion, chopped;
- 2 1/4 cups beef stock;
- 1 cup dry red wine;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 tsp. allspice, grounded;
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced;
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the beef stock with the garlic, allspice, ginger, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the ribs to the mixture and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 300 F.
- Melt some cooking fat in a Dutch oven placed over high heat. Remove the ribs from marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Brown the ribs in the Dutch oven on all sides, about 2 minutes per side, and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the carrots, onion, celery, and tomato paste, and saut? for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and give everything a good stir, making sure to scrape up all the brown bits at the bottom.
- Add the beef stock and remaining marinade, and bring to a boil.
- Place the ribs in the oven and cook for 2 hours.