This traditional bread sauce is the perfect accompaniment to a roast dinner.
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 slices stale white bread, crusts removed, torn
- Place onion, cloves, bay leaf and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place bread in a food processor. Process until breadcrumbs form.
- Strain milk mixture into a heatproof jug. Stir in breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.