Broccoli & cauliflower fritters
Although this recipe is quite simple, the few ingredients marry together beautifully to create a delicious, light and fluffy fritter perfect for little hands to pick up and nibble on with ease.
I also managed to sneak almost an entire head of broccoli and cauliflower into the batter, so these little babies are bursting with veggie goodness.
If your little one is just beginning their baby led weaning adventure, I can’t recommend this recipe enough. These fritters are what I consider to be the perfect texture for beginners (soft enough to nibble on, yet firm enough not to be crushed by tiny grips) and their shape make them so easy to hold!
I also love to freeze left over fritters for another day, just wrap individual portions, pop into a freezer safe container and stash in the deep freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 1/3 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 heaped teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 heaped teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- olive oil, to fry in
- wedges of roma tomato and cucumber, to serve
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add broccoli and cauliflower and cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain and place into a large mixing bowl. Use a fork to slightly mash the vege. Set aside 4 cups of the vege and allow to cool.
- Add the flour, parmesan, garlic, mustard and eggs and mix to combine.
- Heat a good drizzle of oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat and cook rounded tablespoons of the fritter mixture in batches, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Add extra oil as necessary. Place the cooked fritters on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Serve warm alongside wedges of roma tomato and cucumber.