Chicken butter bean and leek pie.
This golden potato-topped pie combines chicken with tarragon in a cheese sauce – a delightful medley of flavours for a hearty evening meal.
Chicken butter bean and leek pie
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 leeks, sliced (250-300g)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 600ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 50g mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 x 420g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 750g floury potatoes, cooked and mashed
- knob of butter
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Heat the oil in a saucepan add the chicken and leeks and fry for 4-5 minutes until the chicken begins to brown.
- Stir in the flour and 450ml of the milk, bring to the boil and stir until thickened. Stir in the tarragon half the cheese and the butter beans and season well. Tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Mix together the mashed potato, remaining milk, butter and the remaining cheese and pipe or spoon over the chicken mixture.
- Place the pie in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden and bubbling.