Chicken and lentil curry.
A great recipe for using up leftover chicken and storecupboard essentials.
Chicken and lentil curry
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1-3 green chillies, split open
- 400g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150g red lentils
- Add the cumin and coriander seeds to a dry saucepan and toast for 1-2 minutes. Add the oil and the onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly until browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and chicken pieces and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the chili powder, garam masala and turmeric powder along with the lemon juice, tomatoes and 500ml water.
- Bring to the boil, mix well, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the lentils and simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until cooked.