Indulge in decadent, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate.
- 6 ounces semisweet baking chocolate or white baking bars (white chocolate), chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet or milk chocolate chips or white baking chips
- Finely chopped nuts or candy decorations, if desired
- Cover cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Melt baking chocolate in heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted; stir in whipping cream. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, just until thick enough to hold a shape.
- Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Shape into balls. (If mixture is too sticky, refrigerate until firm enough to shape.) Freeze 30 minutes.
- Heat shortening and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; remove from heat. Dip truffles, one at a time, into chocolate. Place on aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet. Immediately sprinkle some of the truffles with finely chopped nuts or decorating candies.
- Refrigerate truffles about 10 minutes or until coating is set. Drizzle some of the truffles with mixture of 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon milk. Refrigerate just until set. Serve at room temperature. Store in airtight container.