Grilled Chicken and Pineapple with Onion Relish Recipe.
The official grilling season is almost over, but tropical flavors are a hit at any time of year, so keep the grill going strong with this spicy-sweet chicken breast. Caramelized onions can sometimes get a little heavy or syrupy, but alongside the crisp sweetness of the pineapple, and the sharp bite of the hot peppers, the overall effect is flavorful without being overpowering.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts;
- 4 pineapple slices;
- 2 fresh jalape?o peppers, thinly sliced;
- 4 to 6 red or yellow onions, thinly sliced;
- 2 tbsp. honey; (optional)
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar;
- 3 tbsp. red wine;
- 2 tbsp. olive oil;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat a grill or BBQ to medium-high.
- In a skillet placed over a medium heat, warm the olive oil and saut? the onions until caramelized (about 10 min).
- Add the honey, if using, and stir until dissolved; then add the vinegar and the wine.
- Simmer until all the liquid has evaporated (about 10 minutes), and season to taste.
- Grill the chicken breast on the preheated BBQ until done (about 5 minutes per side).
- Place the pineapple slices and the jalape?o slices on the grill and grill them for about 2 min.
- Top each chicken breast with jalape?o, pineapple, and onion relish, and serve.