Pumpkin Turkey Chili
Preheat oven to 400F. Cut pumpkin in half with a large knife. With a metal spoon scoop out the pulp and seeds. You can save the seeds for roasting later. Pell the pumpkin segments. Cut slices of pumpkin 1-inch thick moon shaped slices then into small cubes. Place pumpkin pieces on parchment lined baking sheet. Distribute butter pieces on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the sage leaves on a few pieces that are for the crostini. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the pumpkin slices are soft.
- 2 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 2 slices of Bacon - diced
- 2 Yellow Onion - finely hopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic - minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - chopped
- 2 lbs Ground Organic Turkey
- 1 cup Red Wine, we used Merlot
- ? cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Pumpkin Puree homemade (see recipe above) or if in a hurry a 16oz can
- 2 8 oz cans Diced Tomatoes
- 2 8oz cans White Kidney Beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro - finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat. Add the diced bacon and cook for 5 - 6 minutes or until brown and nice crispy. If you like to remove some of the fat, take it out with a large spoon. Add the onions and saut? until translucent, then add the minced garlic and bell pepper and continue to saut? for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the ground meat and cook until slightly browned. Carefully pour in the wine and vegetable broth. Add the pumpkin puree, tomatoes and kidney beens. Sprinkle in the seasonings and salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it will not burn to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve hot and garnish with Cr?me Fra?che and cilantro. You can also serve it with tortilla chips or try our simple and delicious Pumpkin Crostini.