Spiced Dal with Peanuts and Dill.
Dill adds a fresh flavor to this Maharashtrian-style dal. You can find Kashmiri chile powder in Indian grocery stores or at Kalustyan’s.
Spiced Dal with Peanuts and Dill
- 6 tbsp. split yellow lentils
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small green Indian chiles or serranos, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 small red onions, minced
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, cored and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. red Kashmiri chile powder
- 3 cups roughly chopped dill
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
- Kosher Salt
- In a bowl, cover the lentils with water, let soak for 30 minutes, and drain. In a 12-inch skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the garlic, chiles, and onions and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes, then add the coriander, turmeric, and chile powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir the lentils, dill, peanuts, and 1 1?2 cups water, and cook, stirring, until the dal is tender, about 20 minutes. Season the dal with salt and serve while hot.