Wine Braised Beef Shoulder with Root Vegetables
A big juicy beef shoulder, seasoned with salt and black pepper and doused with a generous glass of red wine then slowly braised in the oven was alway a very desirable meal in Europe as well. In Hungary we added “Egri Bikaver” a spicy red wine from Eger wine region in Austria and Germany the “Blue Frankish” was the goto wine. But this time we paired it with a Banfi Belnero from Tuscany, Italy and it has enough spicy and deep fruity flavors to compliment this handsome hunk of braised beef shoulder. You get the most wondrous and comforting feelings as you take a bite of this simple and hearty meal.
- 3 to 4 Pounds Beef Shoulder
- 2 cups Red Wine - Sangiovese, Merlot or a Blend
- 1 Orange - zest and juice. Save the zest for serving
- 1 Large Onion - chopped
- 2 Garlic - minced
- 6 to 8 Rainbow Carrots - washed and sliced diagonally
- 3 stalks Celery - washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 3 small Vine Ripe Tomatoes
- 1/2 Celery Root - peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Bouquet Garni from fresh Thyme, Coriander, Parsley and dried Bay leaves
- This recipe will require at least 4 hours or even better overnight to marinade the beef. In a small bowl blend the wine with the orange juice. Remember to save the zest for serving. Place the beef in a large glass dish and gently pour the wine and orange juice over. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery to the dish and cover with a glass lid or plastic wrap. Do not use aluminum foil. Marinade the meat at least 4 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator for richer flavor.
- Remove meat from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 30 to 45 minutes. Transfer beef only to a large paper towel lined platter and pat it dry. We will use the marinade later. Season the meat with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat oven to 325°Farenheit.
- Heat Olive oil in a large Dutch oven or a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat and sear the beef on all sides for about 10 minutes or until it becomes nice brown. Pour the beef broth and the reserved marinade with the vegetables over the meat and add the vine ripe tomatoes, celery root and the Bouquet garni. Cover the pot and place in the oven and cook for about 3 hours or until the beef is tender by turning and basting the meat every hour. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a platter and cover firmly with aluminum foil and kitchen towel to keep it warm.
- Remove the Bouquet garni and pour the liquid with the vegetables into a blender (you can also use an immersion blender if you have one) and blitz for a few seconds until the sauce has a silky consistency. Now is a good time to adjust seasoning if need it.
- Pour the vegetable sauce back to the now empty pot and cook by stirring often, over medium-high for 3 to 4 minutes or more if the sauce is not thick enough.
- Cut the meat into slices and serve over polenta or mashed sweet potatoes with a generous amount of the vegetable sauce.
- Sprinkle the orange zest over the top.