- Preparation time
- 5 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 4 people
- February 16, 2016
Roll up, roll up, for a hearty porridge breakfast with a brand new look!Print
- 6 stalks rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups traditional rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Combine rhubarb, caster sugar, vanilla paste and 1 tablespoon cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring milk and 1 1/2 cups cold water to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Stir in oats and salt. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until porridge thickens (porridge will coat spoon when ready). Remove from heat. Cover and stand for 5 minutes (porridge will cool and thicken slightly on standing). Stir in brown sugar.
- Stir 3/4 rhubarb mixture through porridge. Spoon into bowls. Top with remaining rhubarb mixture. Serve.