- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 4 people
- April 11, 2016
I am always trying to find uses for leftover chicken. This creamy homespun casserole is a great way to do so (and feed a crowd!).Print
Chicken Mushroom & Corn Tetrazzini
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken stock, warmed
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3–4 cup shredded roast chicken (leftovers are perfect)
- 1 lb egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly butter a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a deep sided saute pan or skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook while stirring for about 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the mushrooms, corn, thyme, bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked down and wilted. Transfer the mushrooms and corn into a bowl and set aside.
- Return the saute pan to the stove and lower the heat. Melt the butter in the pan, then slowly add the flour, whisking constantly. When the mixture is smooth, whisk in the warm chicken stock, and let it simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth. Whisk in the milk, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the mushrooms, shredded chicken, and gently add the cooked noodles. Transfer to the buttered baking dish, and spread it evenly in the pan. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the top is golden brown.