- Preparation time
- 40 mins
- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- 8 people
- April 9, 2016
Delicious Homemade Mac & Cheese in One Skillet.
Few things are as delicious and satisfying as macaroni and cheese— and few things are as frustrating as cooking a meal and then having a ton of pots and pans to clean up. Luckily, there’s a pretty simple solution for that problem— cut down on the number of pots and pans you use! Yes, it even works for mac ‘n’ cheese. Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food shows us the recipe.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 cups grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 cup grated Gruyere
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Heat broiler. In a large straight-sided, oven-safe skillet, melt butter. Remove 1 tablespoon butter and combine with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until softened. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Very gradually whisk in milk and bring to a simmer. Add macaroni and cook, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pan, until tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in remaining cheese and the mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Top with breadcrumb mixture and broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.