Flank Steak With Blueberry Sauce Recipe.
You don’t need a fancy sauce to make a great steak, but it’s nice to mix up the flavors every once in a while. A savory pan sauce with red wine and fresh blueberries gives you a big punch of extra flavor and plenty of opportunities to get creative with the presentation, and the fresh flavor of the berries is nice with the richness of the meat.
- 4 x 6 oz. flank steak
- 1/2 to 1 cups blueberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. shallots, minced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/3 cup. red wine (optional)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the flank steak to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt the ghee in a saucepan placed over a medium heat. Stir in the garlic and shallot, and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Pour in the red wine, the beef stock, and fresh thyme. Lower the heat to a simmer, season to taste, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Bring a skillet or grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook the steaks in some melted cooking fat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, and remove from the pan.
- Pour in the sauce from the saucepan, and use a spatula to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan and mix them with the sauce.
- Add the blueberries, adjust the seasoning and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. You can add 1 tbsp. of tapioca starch to the sauce if you like a thicker sauce.
- Serve the steak topped with the blueberry sauce.