- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 8 people
- February 17, 2019
Our chicken casserole with roasted veggies is hands-down one of our all-time favorites! The test kitchen reviews were overwhelmingly positive and there were a few fights over seconds. Always a good sign!
The secret to this recipe is roasting the vegetables. Roasting removes excess moisture and gives a more concentrated flavor. We also used smoked Gouda cheese for its smoky flavor, but any type of smoked cheese will work in this chicken casserole.Print
Chicken Casserole with Roasted Veggies
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cut into 1” pieces
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1” cubes
- 13.75 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced large
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated, plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups Gouda cheese, grated, smoked, or mozzarella or provolone, divided
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss diced chicken, red bell pepper, zucchini, artichokes, mushrooms and onions with olive oil.
- Evenly distribute chicken and vegetables on baking sheet spaced as far apart as possible. Use 2 baking sheets if necessary to ensure distance between ingredients. Sprinkle chicken and veggies with salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Roast for about 15 minutes, until tender. Remove from oven then reduce heat to 350 degrees. Cool chicken and veggies slightly, then transfer to a large bowl. Add marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and 1? cups grated smoked cheese, reserving ? cup for topping. Gently mix until ingredients are coated with sauce and the cheese is evenly distributed.
- Pour into a greased 2-qt casserole dish then top with the remaining ? cup of grated cheese. Bake until bubbly and cheese is completely melted—about 25–30 minutes. Remove from oven, let rest 5–10 minutes then serve and enjoy!