Stuffed rice and lentil tomatoes.
Ready in just one hour, these stuffed tomatoes are healthy, gluten-free and delicious.
Stuffed rice and lentil tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup SunRice White Long Grain Rice
- 8 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 400g can no-added salt lentils, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Heat half the oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add rice and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut a thin slice from the top of tomato, reserving tops. Using a teaspoon, hollow out tomatoes. Discard pulp.
- Add zucchini, lentils and pine nuts to rice mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir. Fill tomato shells with rice mixture, pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon. Place in an ovenproof dish (see note). Replace tops. Drizzle with remaining oil. Season.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tomatoes are just tender and hold their shape. Serve.