- March 24, 2016
Asian Marinated Tuna with Shaved Salad Recipe.
Although wild fresh tuna steaks can certainly be on the expensive side, cooking it isn’t complicated at all, making it a perfect contender for a fancy, but easy dinner. The only thing to be careful of will be not to overcook the fish. We like to eat ours rare in the middle, so a quick sear on all sides is all it takes.
- 4 tuna steaks, about 6 oz. each
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 small – medium carrots, peeled
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 English cucumber, peeled
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. green onion, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- First make the marinade for the tuna by combining the olive oil, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, lime juice, fresh ginger, and garlic in a sealable plastic bag or nonreactive container.
- Season the tuna steaks with salt and pepper on each side then place in the marinade. Turn to coat and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning half way through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the coconut aminos, lemon juice, rice vinegar, green onion, and fresh ginger in a small bowl to make the dressing for the salad. Set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the carrots, asparagus, and cucumber into long thin strips. For the carrot and cucumber rotate around the vegetables and stop when you reach the fibrous core/seeds. It may be easiest to do this with the vegetables flat on a cutting board.
- Place the vegetable ribbons into a bowl and lightly coat with the dressing (about half), toss to mix well. Reserve the remaining dressing to use over the final dish and let the salad sit to allow the flavors to meld.
- Heat the cooking fat in a skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Sear each tuna steak for 1 1?2 – 2 minutes per side, depending on the desired doneness. Divide the shaved salad onto 4 plates, top each with a tuna steak and serve the reserved dressing to pour over the tuna as desired.