- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 10 mins
- 2 people
- April 2, 2016
Chicken and spinach burritos.
These burritos are filling, and with salad, make a substantial lunch or light dinner.Print
Chicken and spinach burritos
- 60g basmati rice
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chicken breast (approx. 125g), cut into strips
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1tsp mild chilli powder (hot if you prefer)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 150g frozen spinach, defrosted and water squeezed out
- 2 large plain tortillas
- 1 tbsp low-fat garlic and herb cream cheese
- salad, to serve
- Put the rice in a small saucepan with 75ml of boiling water, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Leave to stand with the lid on for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a saucepan, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken strips and chopped peppers. Stir for 4 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the garlic, chilli, cumin and oregano. Mix together for another minute. Stir in the spinach and the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Warm the tortillas in a dry frying pan or in the microwave for 30 seconds. Lay them out on a board and spread the centre of each tortilla with the cream cheese. Divide the chicken and rice mixture between them and roll up, tucking in the sides, to form a neat parcel. Roll the parcel up tightly in foil, twisting the ends so they are easy to hold. Serve with salad.