- April 2, 2016
An interesting twist on a Mexican classic, this dish provides three of your five a day.Print
- 4 medium courgettes
- 1 tsp oil
- 75g spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 75g green pepper, chopped
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cooked and shredded chicken breasts (approx. 250g)
- 1 x 395g jar enchilada sauce
For the topping
- 75g reduced-fat Cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Cut the courgettes in half lengthwise and using a small spoon or melon baller, scoop out the flesh, leaving each courgette with a 7cm ‘border’ inside. Chop the scooped-out flesh into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the spring onions, garlic and pepper. Cook on medium to low heat for 2–3 minutes, until the onions are translucent then add the chopped courgette flesh, season and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano, chilli powder, 3 tbsp water, and tomato paste. Cook for a few more minutes. Add the shredded chicken, mix, and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Place a quarter of the jar of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish (or 2 small ones), and place in the courgette halves cut side up. Using a spoon, fill each hollowed courgette with chicken mixture, pressing down firmly.
- Top the courgettes with the remaining enchilada sauce and scatter evenly with the cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes until the cheese has melted and the courgettes are cooked through.