- Preparation time
- 25 mins
- Cooking time
- 640 mins
- Hard recipes
- 8 people
- February 6, 2016
Do-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Who doesn’t love creamy, smooth, fluffy mashed potatoes? With just six ingredients (two of which are salt and pepper) this comfort food staple comes together in no time. These Do-Ahead Mashed Potatoes can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time, refrigerated, and baked when you’re ready for a no-stress, no-fuss side. Whether it’s Thanksgiving or just for dinner, Do-Ahead Mashed Potatoes will be your go-to recipe when you’re craving a heaping helping of mashed potatoes.
- 9 medium potatoes (3 pounds)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Scrub potatoes. Leave skins on, if desired, or peel thinly and remove eyes. Cut into large pieces. Heat 1 inch water (salted if desired) to boiling in 3-quart saucepan; add potato pieces. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook covered 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Shake pan gently over low heat to dry potatoes.
- Heat milk, whipping cream, butter, salt and pepper in 1-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted. Measure out 1/4 cup of the milk mixture; cover and refrigerate.
- Add remaining milk mixture in small amounts to potatoes in medium bowl, mashing with potato masher or electric mixer after each addition. (Amount of milk needed to make potatoes smooth and fluffy depends on kind of potatoes used.) Beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy.
- Spray 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into casserole. Bake immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350?F. Pour reserved milk mixture over potatoes. Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are hot. Just before serving, stir potatoes.