- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 6 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 5 people
- January 5, 2017
BBQ hake burger
Fire up the barbie! Guy Awford gets ready to embrace National BBQ Week (running 30 May to 5 June) with a recipe for grilled hake burger with tomato and chipotle relish, watercress and radish
There’s a primitive satisfaction to cooking outside over charcoal. It may seem instinctive, but in reality it takes a lot of practice to perfect a good barbecue technique. The best barbecues have a strong even heat which allows you to control the cooking; they are never so fierce that the food burns before it cooks.
Once you have perfected your technique there is a whole array of amazing dishes that you can cook. I love barbecuing fish, but fish burgers are great too. You can use cod or coley, but hake is meaty enough to make into a patty, sustainable and relatively cheap. The addition of eggs and breadcrumbs improves the texture and ensures the burger stays together.
To make the relish, blitz 250g of ripe tomatoes with a clove of garlic, a pinch of grated ginger and 2 red chillies – with seeds if you want it hot. Place in a heavy-based saucepan and add 150g of unrefined caster sugar, a slug of fish sauce, a teaspoon of smoked paprika, 2 chopped chipotle chilies and 50ml of red wine vinegar. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes until the mixture has turned dark and sticky. It can be stored in sterilised jars.Print
BBQ hake burger
- 750g hake fillet, skinned and bones removed
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram, chopped
- zest 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 125g breadcrumbs
- 5 burger buns
- 100g watercress
- 2 radishes
- tomato & chipotle relish
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- salt & pepper
- Blend the hake for about 1 minute in a food processor.
- Tip into a large bowl and beat in the onions, garlic, herbs, egg & breadcrumbs and season.
- At this stage it is good to fry off a little piece of the patty mix to check the seasoning. You can then adjust to taste.
- Chill for at least 1 hour to set.
- Cook on the barbecue for a couple of minutes on each side. Grill the buns, spread on some relish, then add in the hake burger, watercress and radish.