- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 4 people
- March 9, 2016
Grilled Steak Salad.
This salad would make a very classy first course for a party, but it’s also satisfying enough to work as the main dish if you’re just looking for a light lunch. Enjoy it with a side of soup, and maybe a piece of fresh fruit for dessert: simple, classic, and delicious.
A timeless steak salad with a simple vinaigrette that goes from grill to table in just a few minutes.Print
Grilled Steak Salad
- Cilantro Dressing
- 8 ounces beef sirloin or beef flank steak
- 2 small yellow and/or red sweet peppers, stemmed, seeded, and halved
- 1 ear fresh corn, husked and silks removed
- 2 green onions, trimmed
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 of a small avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Prepare Cilantro Dressing; divide Dressing into two portions.
- Trim fat from steak. If using flank steak, score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag. Pour one portion of the Cilantro Dressing over steak in bag; set remaining dressing portion aside. Seal bag; turn to coat steak. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Coat sweet pepper, corn, and green onions with cooking spray.
- For a charcoal grill, grill steak and corn on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until steak is desired doneness and corn is tender, turning steak once halfway through grilling and turning corn occasionally. For steak, allow 17 to 21 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) to medium (160 degrees F). For corn, allow 15 to 20 minutes. Add sweet pepper halves to the grill for the last 8 minutes of grilling and green onions to the grill for the last 4 minutes grilling, turning frequently. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place meat and, later, vegetables on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Thinly slice meat against the grain. Coarsely chop sweet peppers and green onions; cut corn from cob, leaving kernels in “sheets.” Serve meat, vegetables, tomatoes, and, if desired, avocado slices over romaine lettuce. Drizzle with the reserved portion of the Cilantro Dressing. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a blender or small food processor combine lime juice, shallot, cilantro, olive oil, water, honey, garlic, chili powder, salt, and cumin. Cover and blend or process until combined.