- Preparation time
- 35 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 4 people
- February 14, 2016
Italian meatballs with cherry tomato sauce.
This healthy version of the classic Italian favourite is sure to keep the kids smiling.Print
Italian meatballs with cherry tomato sauce
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 400g extra lean beef mince
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g dried wholemeal spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 x 250g punnets cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh basil leaves and grated parmesan, to serve
- Squeeze excess liquid from zucchini and carrot. Place in a large bowl. Add mince, onion, basil, breadcrumbs, egg, and half the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on a large plate.
- Cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, turning regularly, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a large plate.
- Add remaining garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatoes. Season with pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until tomatoes collapse.
- Add meatballs. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Serve meatballs on spaghetti topped with basil and parmesan.