- March 31, 2016
Phulouri (split pea fritters with hot sauce).
These delicious bites are great as an appetiser or starter. They are usually deep fried – but grilling them reduces the fat and calories.
Phulouri (split pea fritters with hot sauce)
- 225g split peas
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- freshly ground black pepper
- a little oil, for brushing
- 1 small paw paw (papaya), peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2-2 large red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried mustard powder
- 150ml malt vinegar
For the hot pepper sauce
- Place the split peas into a pan, cover with water and boil rapidly for 10 minutes then simmer for 25–30 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender, add the onion, garlic and flour, and blend until smooth.
- Season well. Make into 16 patties.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high.
- Brush the patties a little oil and grill for 4–5 minutes until golden, turning halfway through cooking.
- To make the hot pepper sauce, place all the ingredients into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until almost smooth. Serve with the fritters.