- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 50 mins
- 18 people
- February 13, 2016
I love everything about chocolate-covered strawberries. I love the crunchy, melt-in-your-mouth shell and the cool, sweet strawberry beneath. I love giving them as presents, and I love receiving them equally as much. And I especially love how easy they are to make at home — it’s an afternoon project with a result that looks fancy no matter your candy-making skills (or lack thereof)!
- 1 pint (2 cups) medium-large strawberries (18 to 20 strawberries)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips or white vanilla baking chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening or vegetable oil
- Gently rinse strawberries and dry on paper towels (berries must be completely dry). Line cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Dip lower half of each strawberry into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip back into saucepan. Place on waxed paper-lined tray or cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate uncovered about 30 minutes or until chocolate is firm, or until ready to serve. Store covered in refrigerator so chocolate does not soften (if made with oil, chocolate will soften more quickly at room temperature).