- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 25 mins
- 6 people
- January 3, 2017
Butternut Squash Chili Recipe
Butternut Squash Chili Recipe – Butternut Squash Chili recipe made with ground beef or turkey, butternut squash, vegetables, and spices makes a hearty and delicious chili recipe!
This is without a doubt my absolute favorite time of the year. I spend as much time outside as I possibly can since we’re past the hot and humid stage and right smack dab in the middle of mild temperatures and gorgeous days. It is the perfect time of year!
It is also the perfect time of the year for making chilis, soups, stews and comforting dishes and this hearty Butternut Squash Chili recipe definitely doesn’t disappoint.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed into ? inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: diced avocado, sour cream, or red pepper flakes
- Drizzle olive oil into a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and saute the onions until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the ground beef or turkey and cook until browned. Drain away grease and stir in tomato paste, bell pepper, tomato sauce, chicken stock, pinto beans, butternut squash, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chili is thickened and the butternut squash is tender, but not falling apart, about 20 minutes.