Pea & new potato curry.
A low-fat and low-calorie vegetable curry that’s made with Madras spice and yogurt.
Pea & new potato curry
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onion, sliced
- 3 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- thumb-sized piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- ? tsp turmeric
- 750g new potato, halved
- juice 1 lime
- 500ml pot natural yogurt
- small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves finely chopped
- 200-300ml vegetable stock, or pea stock (see tip, below)
- 300g podded fresh pea (or use frozen)
- lime wedges, to serve
- 2 naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add the onions and cook over a low heat for 10-15 mins until soft. Throw in the chillies, ginger and spices, and cook for a few mins. Stir in the potatoes and lime juice, coating in the spice mix.
- Add the yogurt, coriander stalks and the stock. Simmer slowly for 35-40 mins until the potatoes are soft and the sauce has reduced. Stir through the peas and cook for another 5 mins. Sprinkle over the coriander leaves, and serve with lime wedges and warm naan bread.