- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- 6 people
- May 25, 2016
Smoky Southwestern Shepherd’s Pie.
Enjoy this Southwestern ground beef pie packed with Green Giant® corn and Old El Paso® chiles – a flavorful dinner.Print
Smoky Southwestern Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef round
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups Hungry Jack® Mashed Potato Flakes
- 1 (4.5-oz.) can Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 4 oz. (1 cup) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 (10-oz.) can Old El Paso™ Enchilada Sauce
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 11-oz. can), drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (11-oz.) can Green Giant™ SteamCrisp® Mexicorn® Whole Kernel Corn, Red and Green Peppers, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 small tomato, cut into 6 wedges
- Heat oven to 400°F. In large skillet, brown ground beef round with onion over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine water, butter and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and potato flakes. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in green chiles and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Drain beef mixture. Add enchilada sauce, chipotle chiles, cumin and oregano; mix well. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Spread beef mixture in ungreased shallow 2-quart casserole. Top with corn. Spread potatoes evenly over corn. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 400°F. for 13 to 17 minutes or until cheese is melted and filling is bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika and green onions. Arrange tomato wedges in center of casserole. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.