- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 50 mins
- 4 people
- March 13, 2016
“Stuffing” is a pretty misleading name at this point, because the food it describes gets enjoyed in all kinds of ways that don’t involve putting it inside something else. This Paleo recipe is good for either application, and you can cook it in two different ways:
- Just the stuffing: cook it all in a baking pan and eat or do whatever else you want with it.
- Directly in the bird: stuff it into a turkey or chicken (or pumpkin, or squash, or butterflied pork tenderloin…) and cook it right inside the cavity.
Sausage, Cranberry, and Apple Stuffing Recipe
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed;
- 2 cups mushrooms, minced;
- 1 cup fresh cranberries;
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped;
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced;
- 2 shallots, finely diced;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, finely chopped;
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped;
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped;
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the shallots, celery, and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook 6 to 8 minutes. While the sausage cooks, break it apart with a spatula.
- Transfer the sausage and onion mixture to a baking dish.
- Add the mushrooms, apple, cranberries, eggs, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything well.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.