- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 6 people
- July 15, 2016
Stuffed baked capsicums
These vegetarian capsicums are stuffed with rice, herbs and baharat, an aromatic spice blend used in Middle Eastern cuisine. Other stuffings include pine nuts, chickpeas, sumac and paprika. Serve as an entrée or as part of a banquet.Print
Babotie-stuffed baked capsicums
- 6 large red capsicums, tops cut off, seeds removed
- 2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg lamb mince
- 4 tbsp madras curry paste (I used Pataks)
- 1 tsp allspice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 6 floury potatoes (Golden Delight or Dutch Creams are good options), peeled, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 30g butter
- Splash of milk
- 1 egg
- Sea salt flakes and freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180?C. Line a baking tray with foil.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Add bay leaves, then cook 15-20 mins or until potatoes are soft when stabbed with a fork. Drain, discarding bay leaves. Add butter and milk and mash well until smooth. Stir through egg until well combined, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saut? 3-5 mins until softened and opaque. Add curry paste and all herbs and stir to combine. Add mince, breaking up lumps with a spoon. Cook, stirring regularly, for 6-8 mins or until mince has browned. Remove from heat, stir through sultanas. Season with salt and pepper. If you can find the cloves at this point (think Where’s Wally style) then remove them. If not, you might want to warn your fellow diners – a whole clove is never a pleasant surprise in a meal!
- Arrange capsicums, cut side up, on the prepared tray. Divide mince mixture evenly between the capsicums. Wrap in foil then bake for 20 mins until capsicum become soft. Remove from oven, unwrap then spoon potato mixture evenly over the mince-filled capsicums. Turn your oven to the grill setting, increase heat to 220?C and grill capsicums for 5 mins or until the potato becomes golden forms a nice crust. Serve immediately.