- March 31, 2016
Bean and mushroom enchiladas.
A hearty family meal that’s easy to make, cheap and nutritious.
Bean and mushroom enchiladas
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 tsp chilli powder (mild or hot, to taste)
- 1 heaped tsp oregano
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 x 400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can green lentils
- 4 large wholemeal tortillas (approx 65g each)
- 200g low-fat yogurt
- 75g reduced-fat Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, yellow pepper, mushrooms, chilli powder, oregano and cumin. Stir the ingredients together.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and carrot. Mix well. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mixed beans and green lentils, mix and bring back to boiling point. Stir and remove from the heat.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of the chilli mixture over the base of a large ovenproof dish. Lay the tortillas onto a board, divide the rest of the chilli mixture between them, fold over the ends and roll up to seal, to create the enchiladas. Place them in a row in the ovenproof dish.
- Mix the yogurt and grated Cheddar together, and dot over the enchiladas. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Serve with salad.