- Easy Recipes
- April 2, 2016
Porter Marinated Flank Steak Lettuce Wraps with IPA Chimichuri.
I spent the better part of the last two weeks throwing myself into my second book. Cooking at 1 am, editing photos at dawn, trying to pull sentences out of my weary brain that would actually be ones that you would want to read.
Monday at 2 am I finally sent it off to my publisher. 100 recipes, all made with beer, all intend for parties. Small bites, appetizers, desserts. The years I’ve spent in the beer world have given me an overwhelming appreciation for the community that exists here. The people who gravitate to craft beer are those who want to share, not just beer but ideas, companionship, trust, knowledge, this is a community of people that thrive together. Of course, a book about beer food to be shared just made sense. I hope you love it as much as I do, I hope you make food to share with other, and I hope that maybe somewhere, the craft beer community is grown a little stronger because of the book I spent so much time creating. It’s the least I can do.Print
Porter Marinated Flank Steak Lettuce Wraps with IPA Chimichuri
For the Steak:
- 12 ounces porter or stout beer
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1 tsp kosher salt
For the Chimicuhri:
- 1 cup Italian parsley, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional for red pepper
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tbs IPA beer
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the wraps:
- butter lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper
- In a shallow bowl or baking dish stir together the beer, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, chili powder, pepper and onion powder. Sprinkle the flank steak on all sides with salt, add to the marinade. Marinate for at least one hour and up to overnight.
- In a food processor add the chimichuri ingredients, process until smooth.
- Preheat the grill.
- Grill the steak until desired degree of doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes.
- Rub the bell pepper with olive oil, grill until soften and grill marks appear.
- Slice the steak and the bell pepper.
- Fill the butter lettuce leaves with steak and bell peppers, spoon on sauce.