- Cooking time
- 100 mins
- 8 people
- April 9, 2016
Broccoli Mac and Cheese.
Cheesy broccoli mac and cheese is one of my winter go-to comfort foods. When the mercury dips everyone wants something a little heartier than usual. Since we’re not bears looking to bulk ourselves up with fat to last the winter we must take care when indulging in our family favorites. This cheesy casserole is a winter winner as it combines heart healthy broccoli and crowd pleasing macaroni and cheese. Whole wheat pasta adds a pleasant dose of fiber, but if you only have traditional pasta on hand you can use that as well.
- 1 tablespooon butter
- 1 cup cottage cheese, reduced fat (not fat free)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon hot mustard powder
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound whole wheat elbow pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Make sure one of your oven racks is placed in the upper third of the oven. Rub the butter on a 9? round baking pan or a 2-quart casserole dish. Set the remaining butter aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cottage cheese, whole milk, spices, and all but 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese. Add the broccoli and pasta, stir to combine and place in this mixture into the casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and cover with tin foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil and dot the reserved butter over the cheese. Bake without the tin foil for another 30 minutes or until the cheese is browned and the contents are bubbling.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.