- Preparation time
- 75 mins
- Cooking time
- 255 mins
- 8 people
- May 10, 2016
Grilled Mexican Citrus Chicken.
A zesty citrus marinade keeps the chicken moist and tender while grilling.
Grilled Mexican Citrus Chicken
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 cut-up whole chickens (3 to 3 1/2 lb each)
- In large shallow glass dish or 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag, mix all ingredients except chicken. Add chicken; turn to coat with marinade. Cover dish or seal bag and refrigerate, turning chicken occasionally, at least 3 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Remove chicken from marinade; reserve marinade. Place chicken, skin sides up, on grill. Cover grill; cook over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken. Cover grill; cook 20 to 40 minutes longer, turning and brushing 2 to 3 times with marinade, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs). Discard any remaining marinade.