- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 315 mins
- 4 people
- May 11, 2016
Slow-Cooker Tamale Pie.
Traditional tamales get a new wrap–golden corn muffin mix bakes in the slow cooker on top of the tamale filling.Print
Slow-Cooker Tamale Pie
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups Progresso™ red kidney beans (from 19-oz can), drained, rinsed
- 1 can (10 ounces) Old El Paso™ enchilada sauce
- 1 pouch (6.5 ounces) cornbread & muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in beans and enchilada sauce.
- Place beef mixture in 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker. In medium bowl, stir cornbread mix, milk, margarine and egg just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Stir cheese and chiles into batter. Spoon over beef mixture in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 5 to 6 hours or until toothpick inserted in center of cornbread comes out clean. Serve with sour cream and green onions.