- Preparation time
- 40 mins
- Cooking time
- 210 mins
- 12 people
- February 1, 2016
White and dark chocolate bars are “key” to decorating this piano cake baked from an easy mix.
- 1 box cake mix (any flavor*)
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Tray or cardboard (15x12 inches), covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
- 2 bars (3.5 oz each) white chocolate candy
- 1 bar (1.55 oz) milk chocolate candy
- 1 1/2 containers Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Make cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. For easier handling, refrigerate or freeze cake 30 to 60 minutes or until firm.
- Use serrated knife to cut cake as shown in diagram (for piano bench, cut 4 1/2x1 1/2-inch piece; cut horizontally in half to make bench lower than piano, if desired). Place cake on tray. Place about 2 tablespoons frosting in small resealable food-storage plastic bag. Frost cake with thin layer of frosting to set crumbs. Refrigerate or freeze 30 to 60 minutes to set frosting. Frost entire cake.
- Cut 1 bar white chocolate into 1 3/4x1/2-inch strips. From remaining bar, cut 2 1/2x1 1/2-inch piece for music. Cut milk chocolate into 1x3/8-inch pieces. Place white and milk chocolate pieces on cake for piano keys. Cut off tiny corner of bag with frosting; pipe frosting notes on white chocolate "music." Place above keys. Store loosely covered.