- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 6 people
- February 15, 2016
Give this fresh salmon nicoise salad a spin for dinner. Have your ingredients and equipment ready – and you’re off!Print
- 750g waxy potatoes (see note)
- 450g green beans
- 6 eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- 4 x 150g skinless salmon pieces, deboned
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 250g large cherry tomatoes
- 1 butter lettuce
- 75g small black olives
White wine vinaigrette
- 1 eschalot
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 bunch basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 160ml (2/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets
- Scrub potatoes. Place in a saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Trim beans, add to pan, then cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a colander, then refresh under cold water. Add eggs to saucepan and cook for 7 minutes for almost hard-boiled.
- To make vinaigrette, chop eschalot and place in the bowl of a food processor. Squeeze over 1 tablespoon lemon juice and crush over garlic. Pick basil leaves and add with mustard, vinegar, oil and anchovies. Process until smooth.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Drizzle oil over fish. Roughly chop fennel seeds, scatter over fish, then season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until just cooked. Rest in pan for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut potatoes into 1.5cm-thick rounds and place in a bowl. Halve tomatoes. Add to potatoes with beans and half the dressing, then toss to combine. Peel eggs, tear into small pieces and add to bowl. Wash and dry lettuce, then toss in a separate bowl with remaining dressing.
- Layer potato mixture, lettuce and salmon on a platter, flaking salmon as you go. Scatter with olives to serve.