- Cooking time
- 100 mins
- 4 people
- April 14, 2016
Sprouts, Kohlrabi, and Beet Salad with Herbed Crème Fraîche Dressing.
Hearty winter beets, kohlrabi, and watermelon radishes are lightened with sprouted lentils, mung beans, and sunflower seeds in this earthy salad from Jessica Koslow. Blanching the herbs for the crème fraîche dressing helps preserve their bright color and keeps them from turning bitter once mixed into the dressing, which can be made up to 3 days ahead.Print
Sprouts, Kohlrabi, and Beet Salad with Herbed Cr?me Fra?che Dressing
- 2 small red beets (about 4 oz.)
- 2 small yellow beets (about 4 oz.)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. whole coriander seeds
- 2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves, plus more to garnish
- 2 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 cup cr?me fra?che, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sprouted lentils
- 1/4 cup sprouted mung beans
- 1/4 cup sprouted sunflower seeds
- 4 small kohlrabi (about 1 lb.), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch–thick wedges
- 4 small watermelon radishes (about 1 lb.), peeled and thinly shaved on a mandoline
- Toasted sunflower seeds (unsprouted), to garnish
- Heat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, toss both of the beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Peel the beets, cut each into 1?4-inch-thick wedges, and transfer to a large bowl. In a small skillet, toast the coriander seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, add the cilantro, parsley, and mint and cook until wilted but still bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the herbs and transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain the herbs once more and spread them out on paper towels to dry, pressing to remove excess water. Transfer the herbs to a blender along with the coriander seeds, 6 tablespoons water, and 2 ice cubes and pur?e until smooth. Scrape the herb pur?e into a small bowl, stir in the cr?me fra?che, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon the cr?me fra?che dressing on the bottom of 4 serving plates. Add the lemon juice, sprouted lentils, mung beans, and sunflower seeds, the kohlrabi, and radishes to the bowl with the beets, season with salt and pepper, and toss until evenly combined. Arrange the salad over the dressing on each plate and drizzle with more cr?me fra?che. Sprinkle the salads with the toasted sunflower seeds before serving.