- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 65 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 6 people
- February 20, 2016
The quintessential flavours of Spain are irresistibly teamed with succulent seafood and tender rice.Print
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock or fish stock
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 30 medium green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 1 squid hood, cleaned, cut into rings
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 3 tomatoes, quartered, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 440g (2 cups) SunRice Arborio Risotto Rice
- 12 small black mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- Chopped fresh continental parsley, to serve
- Combine stock and saffron in a saucepan and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a 38cm (top measurement) paella pan over medium-high heat. Cook prawns, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until they change colour. Transfer to a bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon of remaining oil in pan. Cook squid for 1-2 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer to bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in the pan. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add wine and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until evaporated. Add tomato and paprika and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tomato starts to soften. Stir in the rice.
- Reserve 125ml (1/2 cup) of the stock mixture. Add remaining stock to pan. Do not stir. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, without stirring, for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and firm to the bite.
- Push mussels into rice mixture. Top with prawns and squid. Ladle over reserved stock. Cook, without stirring, for a further 8-10 minutes or until mussels open and paella is slightly moist and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Cover with a clean tea towel. Set aside for 5 minutes. Discard unopened mussels. Top with parsley.