- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 4 people
- February 20, 2016
Whether it be spaghetti con vongole (clams), or steamed mussels, or a rich risotto con frutti di mare, there is one thing I enjoy immensely with a strong will and that is fresh seafood.
- 750ml (3 cups) fish stock
- 375ml (2 1/2 cups) hot water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 330g (1 1/2 cups) SunRice Arborio Risotto Rice
- 16 (about 400g) black mussels, debearded
- 12 (about 300g) cooked prawns, peeled leaving tails intact
- 2 teaspoons garlic pepper sauce (Tabasco brand)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the stock and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and hold at a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add rice and cook for 30 seconds or until grains appear slightly glassy. Increase heat to high.
- Add 1 1/4 cups (310ml) of simmering stock mixture to rice, stirring with a wooden spoon, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Continue to add stock mixture, 1 1/4 cups at a time, stirring. Allow all liquid to be absorbed before adding more. Add mussels to pan with last portion of stock mixture. Cook for 2 minutes then add prawns and garlic pepper sauce. Cook for 2 minutes or until mussels have opened and rice is tender yet firm to the bite. (The rice will take about 15 minutes to cook.)
- Remove from heat, discard any unopened mussels. Stir in 1 tablespoon of parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley.