- March 21, 2016
Spicy Mussel Soup Recipe.
Adding mussels to a basic fish stock makes a rich, warming soup with a deep seafood flavor. Chili peppers add a Thai-inspired spiciness, and the coconut milk picks up the theme and also makes the broth even richer and more velvety. A sprinkle of fresh herbs just tops it off with something pretty and green.
- 2 lbs. mussels, cleaned and debearded;
- 2 shallots, finely minced;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 3 cups fish or vegetable stock;
- 2 cups coconut milk;
- 3 tbs. chili paste;
- 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice;
- 1 tsp. dried chili flakes;
- 2 to 3 fresh Thai basil leaves;
- 1/2 dry white wine; (optional)
- Cooking fat;
- Fresh cilantro, minced; (to garnish)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Melt the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the shallots and garlic until browned and soft.
- Pour in the white wine. Bring to a boil and let simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the fish stock, coconut milk, chili paste, dried chili, basil leaves, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the mussels. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the mussels have completely opened.
- Serve the mussels with the sauce, and garnish with fresh cilantro.