- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 4 people
- July 13, 2016
Shrimp Lo Mein
Oh well. Sometimes I cook, and sometimes I don’t. I’m flawed.
There’s a bevvy of insanely good take-out joints just a few blocks from my doorstep, so it’s hard not to indulge. Whenever a random craving suddenly hits, it’s 99% curable within a 10-minute radius of my house.
Spicy Szechuan green beans. Creamy lamb korma with a 12-inch slab of naan. Thai coconut green curry with rice to sop it all up. Fresh sushi with a heaping side of gomae. Cheap and dirty pizza with thick crust. Gourmet pizza with thin crust. Southern cod fritters with beer served in mason jars. Perhaps a steaming hot bowl of pho.
This Shrimp Lo Mein not only comes together in about half and hour, but it’s full of veggies and packed with flavour. Plus, it’s a great alternative to getting Chinese take-out, which can quite often be overly salty.
Snow peas, carrots, mushrooms, bok choy, green onions, garlic, and shrimp make up the bulk of this dish, and it’s all tossed with a thick and flavourful sauce that coat the noodles and amps up the flavour.
Feel free to use this recipe as a baseline, and customize with whatever you have on hand. Instead of shrimp, use whatever leftover meat you have in the fridge. Have some extra veggies that are about to turn? Toss ’em in!
You can’t go wrong with this quick and easy weeknight meal.Print
Shrimp Lo Mein
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 280 g fresh steamed chow mein noodles
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 450 g jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup snow peas, halved
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minved
- 230 g baby bok choy
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Green onions, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the broth, oyster sauce, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, cornstarch, and sesame oil; set aside.
- Cook chow mein noodles according to package instructions. Drain; set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook shrimp for about 1 minute per side until pink and opaque. Remove shrimp from skillet.
- In the same skillet, saute carrot, snow peas, mushrooms, and garlic until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add bok choy and continue to cook for another minute until greens have wilted. Stir in broth mixture and noodles.
- Cook, tossing the noodles frequently, until sauce has thickened and fully coated the noodles, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp.
- Divide into bowls and top with sesame seeds, green onions, and more hot sauce, if desired.