- Preparation time
- 60 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 2 people
- February 13, 2016
Margarita crush with passionfruit shortbread.
This tangy lime granita is delicious with melt-in-your mouth shortbread.Print
Margarita crush with passionfruit shortbread
- 155g (3/4 cups) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 125ml (1/2 cup) lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 passionfruit, halved
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- Stir sugar, water and half the lime rind in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Set aside to cool completely. Stir in tequila and lime juice. Transfer to an airtight container. Cover. Place in the freezer for 6 hours or until almost set.
- Use a fork to roughly break up the mixture. Return to freezer for a further 30 minutes or until almost frozen. Use a fork to break up the ice crystals and freeze until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make passionfruit shortbread, preheat oven to 170°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Strain passionfruit pulp through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing to extract as much juice as possible. Reserve 1 tablespoon passionfruit juice. Discard seeds. Process butter and sugar in a food processor until pale and creamy. Add combined flour and passionfruit juice. Process until mixture just comes together. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Shape into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of lightly floured baking paper until about 3mm thick. Use a 6.5cm heart cutter to cut 10 hearts from the dough. Use a drinking straw to make a hole in the top of each heart. Transfer to prepared tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes until light golden. Cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Combine the remaining lime rind and sea salt on a plate. Dip the rim of 2 glass jars or glasses in water. Dip in the salt mixture to coat. Scoop margarita crush between jars. Serve with passionfruit shortbread.