- March 24, 2016
Dr Pepper Baby Back Ribs.
Tender, fall off the bone Dr Pepper baby back ribs. These pork ribs start with a sweet and savory dry rub, and slow roast in the oven with Dr Pepper. Then finished off on the grill with bbq sauce so they get crispy and charred.Print
Dr Pepper Baby Back Ribs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1–1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs (approx 4 pounds), extra fat trimmed away
- (4) 12-oz cans Dr Pepper
- 3 cups bbq sauce
- Make the dry rub by combining all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees with the rack in the lower third.
- Cut each rack of ribs in half, so you will now have 4 half racks. This will make them easier to grill later. Pat the ribs dry, and rub evenly with the dry rub mixture. Place the ribs meat side UP in a large roasting pan with rack. (I’ll link in the notes to the roasting pan I use). Pour the Dr Pepper to the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover the roasting pan with foil so the Dr Pepper can steam and infuse the ribs. Roast for 4 hours.
- When the ribs are done roasting, they will be very tender and will want to fall of the bone. Using 2 tongs, gently remove each half rack from the roasting pan and transfer to a large plate. You can either tent them with foil and refrigerate to grill at a later time, or finish them on the grill right away. Discard the cooking liquid left in the roasting pan.
- Preheat grill over high heat. Clean and oil grates. Start the ribs meat side UP, and grill for 4 minutes. Brush the tops of the ribs generously with bbq sauce. Flip, and cook the ribs meat side DOWN for 5-10 more minutes, or until heated thru and the bbq sauce has caramelized. Do not move the ribs around once they are meat side DOWN so you will get grill marks. Brush the bone side of the ribs with bbq sauce. Using 2 tongs, or tongs and a large spatula, gently flip the ribs to be MEAT side up. Grill for 2 more minutes. Transfer to a large platter. Cut the ribs if desired. Served warm with additional bbq sauce.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.