- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 4 people
- April 11, 2016
Simple Sundays | Shaking Beef Vietnamese Stir Fry.
Tender strips of sirloin with caramelized red onion are served over greens in this delicious Shaking Beef Vietnamese Stir Fry – it’s a simple dish that will wow your family.Print
Simple Sundays | Shaking Beef Vietnamese Stir Fry
- 2 lbs beef for stir fry – ask for prime top sirloin for the most tender cut
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon fish sauce, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup dessert wine or white wine
- 3 tablespoons good quality soy sauce (I like Silver Swan Soy Sauce, found in Asian markets)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 3 stalks scallions, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large handfuls arugula or watercress
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef, garlic, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon fish sauce and 1 tablespoon sugar. Let it sit for about 20 minutes at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk the rice wine vinegar, wine, soy sauce, remaining tablespoon fish sauce, and remaining tablespoon sugar until combined. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, stir together the lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok over high heat. Divide the beef, red onions and scallions into two portions. You will be cooking in batches.
- When the oil is glistening and hot, cood the first batch of beef in a single layer, leaving it untouched for about 3 minutes so that it becomes seared on one side. Turn the meat and sear for another 3 minutes. Add the red onions and scallions, stirring it. Add half of the vinegar-soy sauce mixture, and shake the pan or stir. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and shake the pan again. Set the beef in a dish to the side, and repeat with the second batch of beef.
- To serve, place the beef on a bed of arugula or your choice of greens, with the lime dressing on the side.