- 8 people
- April 21, 2016
Ukrainian Chicken with Mushroom Sauce.
I don’t usually mention kitchen tools and supplies with recipes, but please make sure you have enough cling film on hand. You’ll need it for three different steps.Print
Ukrainian Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
- 4 large chicken breasts, halved, skin and bones removed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh Chives, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic, mashed to a paste) more if you like
- 1/2 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- 2 Tbsp. butter or hard margarine
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. chicken bouillon powder
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- Pound each chicken breast between 2 sheets of waxed paper to flatten 1/4 inch thick. Do not puncture or tear.
- In small bowl mix chives, salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter. Shape into 8 balls or rectangular shapes.
- Chill in freezer for a few minutes until firm. Place ball at long (wide) end of each breast. Fold sides over first then bring up front and back fastening with wooden picks.
- Roll in flour, dip in egg and coat with crumbs. Chill for about 1 hour.
- Deep-fry, 2 at a time in 375 F. hot oil for about 3 minutes until golden. Make sure all sides are browned. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in 200 F. oven while you make the sauce.
- MUSHROOM SAUCE: Melt butter in frying pan. Add mushrooms. Saute until soft.
- Mix in flour, bouillon powder and paprika. Stir in cream and soy sauce until it boils. Spoon over chicken.