- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- 6 people
- May 25, 2016
Chili Casserole With Cornbread.
Chili and cornbread are a match made in heaven. Now try it all in one easy dish — simply delicious!
Chili Casserole With Cornbread
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 jar (16 oz) Old El Paso™ salsa
- 2 cups Progresso™ red kidney beans, drained (from 19-oz can)
- 2 cups Muir Glen™ organic diced tomatoes, undrained (from 28-oz can)
- 1 1/2 cups Green Giant™ Steamers™ Niblets® frozen corn
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 package (6.5 to 8.5 oz) cornbread mix
- Margarine, if required by mix
- Egg, if required by mix
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onions
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in salsa, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, make cornbread mix as directed on package using milk and, if required, margarine and egg. Spoon cornbread batter around outside edge of ungreased 12x8-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish. Spoon hot beef mixture into center. (Casserole will be full.)
- Bake 18 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 4 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and cornbread is deep golden brown. Just before serving, sprinkle with green onions.