- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 180 mins
- 6 people
- May 6, 2016
This traditional French beef bourguignon pie is a hearty meal for the whole family. The delicious combination of succulent braised beef, chestnut mushrooms and rich red wine sauce makes this dish extra special.
Tip: To make a bouquet garni, tie a small bundle of fresh parsley, thyme and a bay leaf together with string. This keeps the herbs together while cooking and makes it easy to remove before serving.
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) beef brisket, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, sliced
- 300g (11oz) shallots, peeled
- 250g (10oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato pur?e
- 1 bouquet garni (see tip)
- 750ml (1 1/4pt) red wine
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 400g (14oz) shortcrust pastry
- 1 beaten egg, to brush
- mashed potato, to serve
- steamed greens, to serve
- Toss the beef in the flour to coat. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan and brown the meat in batches, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. Add the remaining oil and cook the bacon, shallots, mushrooms and garlic for 10 minutes until golden.
- Stir through the tomato pur?e and fry for 1 minute before returning the beef with its juices and the bouquet garni to the pan. Pour over the wine and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven to cook for 2 hours. Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Increase the oven to gas 7, 220°C, 200°C fan. Dust a clean surface with the flour, then roll out the pastry to cover your pie dish, approx 24cm (9in).
- Carefully transfer the beef bourguignon to the pie dish. Brush the edge of the dish with egg and cover with the pastry. Pinch the edges of the pastry and decorate with any trimmings. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.